Tips for Maintaining a Clean Dishwasher
Use affresh® dishwasher cleaner monthly for best results.¹ Set a reminder to make it part of your once-a-month cleaning routine. Here are a few more tips to help you take care of your dishwasher:
• Be sure to use the right amount of detergent. Too much will cause over-foaming and may force newer appliances into multiple rinse cycles. It will also lead to more soap scum build-up. Too little will affect how clean the dishes become.
• Run hot water from your kitchen sink, then turn on your dishwasher. The detergent and the appliance itself work best if the water is hot from the beginning of the cycle.
• Don't overload your dishwasher. Your dishes and glasses need to be able to reach the water from the spray arms.
• Rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, but don’t pre-wash. Believe it or not, your dishwasher detergent needs some bits of food on the dishes in order to work properly! Surfactants in the detergent bond with dirt and grease and without any, it can over-foam and lead to the issues above.
• Before putting jars or containers in the dishwasher, remove their labels.
• After you empty the dishwasher, leave the door ajar to circulate air and let it fully dry.
• After you empty a dishwasher, inspect the filter at the bottom. Consider rinsing the filter as a weekly maintenance chore and deep cleaning with affresh® cleaner monthly or after about 30 wash cycles.
• The dishwasher will not drain properly if there is standing water after a wash cycle, because it has become clogged with debris and residue. Your dishwasher needs to be cleaned. Remove the bottom rack, remove any debris around the filter and drain and use two affresh® tablets, one in the detergent dispenser and one on the bottom of the machine. Run the dishwasher on a normal cycle, without any dishes.
By using affresh® dishwasher cleaner regularly, you can ensure that your dishwasher is clean. It’s #1 recommended by Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag and Amana brands.³ You will be able to keep your machine clean - and smelling new.